Before erasing your Mac
Make a backup of any files you want to keep. Erasing your Mac permanently deletes its files.
Par ailleurs, Do I reinstall macOS on Macintosh HD data?
Answer: A: Answer: A: Yes, Catalina has two volumes and from what I have read here is that you will need to erase the entire drive (top entry in Disk Utility) and reinstall from there. If you do not erase, you will most likely wind up with two Mac HD Data.
Ainsi, How do I get Macintosh HD back? First, restart your Mac and hold down the OPTION key. Keep holding it down until you see hard drives on your screen. If “Macintosh HD” appears, select it and press the arrow to continue booting. If it boots, that’s great.
A: Put it back on there.
- Boot up in macOS Recovery mode.
- Select to install macOS.
How do I get Macintosh HD back on my Mac? B. Repair Macintosh HD in Recovery Mode
- Start or restart your Mac then immediately press and hold Command and R keys together.
- When the Apple logo appears, release the keys. …
- In macOS Utilities window, select Disk Utility, then click Continue.
- In Disk Utility window, select Macintosh HD from the left pane.
De plus, How do I get Macintosh HD back in Disk Utility? Restore a disk using Disk Utility on Mac
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices. …
- In the sidebar, select the volume you want to restore, then click the Restore button . …
- Click the Restore pop-up menu, then choose the volume you want to copy.
- Click Restore, then click Done.
Does reinstalling macOS delete everything?
No. Reinstalling macOS does not have to wipe all other data that you have stored. It is often recommended to reinstall macOS on top of the current installation. It is done from the Recovery partition using the same Command-R reboot.
Can you wipe OSX base?
Can I delete the macOS Base System? No, You can’t delete macOS Base System, nor you should. It is what gives you access to the macOS Utilities installed in the recovery partition. Without it, you can’t reinstall operating systems or fix problems when your Mac fails to boot up.
How do I recover OSX?
Why Won’t My Mac Go Into Recovery Mode?
- Reboot your Mac.
- Hold down Option/Alt-Command-R or Shift-Option/Alt-Command-R to force your Mac to boot into macOS Recovery Mode over the internet.
- This should boot the Mac into Recovery Mode.
How do I update my Mac without losing data?
How to Update & Reinstall macOS Without Losing Data
- Start up your Mac from macOS Recovery. …
- Select « Reinstall macOS » from the Utilities Window and click « Continue ».
- Follow the onscreen instructions to select the hard drive you want to install the OS on and start the installation.
Does wiping your Mac make it faster?
The power and speed of your computer is determined by the CPU, not your disk drive. Getting rid of programs such as Mac Keeper and its ilk will go a long way to helping your computer run better.
How do I erase all data from my MacBook?
How to Factory Reset a Mac or MacBook (macOS Monterey)
- Click the Apple icon in the menu bar (top-left corner).
- Select System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘Erase All Contents and Settings. ‘
- Enter your password, select ‘OK. ‘
- Select the ‘Erase All Content & Settings’ button.
What is the order of macOS releases?
Meet Catalina: Apple’s newest MacOS
- MacOS 10.14: Mojave- 2018.
- MacOS 10.13: High Sierra- 2017.
- MacOS 10.12: Sierra- 2016.
- OS X 10.11: El Capitan- 2015.
- OS X 10.10: Yosemite-2014.
- OS X 10.9 Mavericks-2013.
- OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion- 2012.
- OS X 10.7 Lion- 2011.
Do you run first aid on macOS base system?
Disk First Aid and the Startup Drive
You can use Disk Utility’s First Aid on your Mac’s startup drive. However, you’re limited to only performing a verification of the drive while the operating system is actively running from the same disk.
How do I reinstall OSX without disc?
How to use Internet Recovery to reinstall macOS (Intel Macs)
- Shut down your Mac.
- Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button. …
- Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message « Starting Internet Recovery. …
- The message will be replaced with a progress bar.
How do I know if my Mac is in recovery mode?
Immediately hold down the Command and R keys until you see an Apple logo or spinning globe. You will see the spinning globe if the Mac is trying to start macOS Recovery via the internet because it is unable to start from the built-in recovery system.
How do I reinstall OSX and keep data?
1) Restart your Mac into Recovery mode by pressing the Command + R keys while it restarts. 2) You should see a macOS Utilities window with several options. 3) Click on the Reinstall macOS option to start the process. 4) Press Continue to start the reinstall.
Should I restore from Time Machine or reinstall macOS?
If you use Time Machine to back up your Mac, you can recover your files if your system or startup disk is damaged. Important: You must first reinstall macOS on your Mac before you can restore your files using your Time Machine backup.
How do I recover files after updating my Mac?
#2 Recover Lost Files from Time Machine
- Reboot your Mac, then hold down Command + R keys to boot into Recovery Mode at once;
- Choose Restore from Time Machine Backup and click Continue;
- Run Time Machine on Mac, select the files you need to recover and click on Space Bar to preview the files;
How can I make my Mac run faster for free?
Here are the top ways to speed up a Mac:
- Clean up system files and documents. A clean Mac is a fast Mac. …
- Detect & Kill Demanding Processes. …
- Speed up startup time: Manage startup programs. …
- Remove unused apps. …
- Run a macOS system update. …
- Upgrade your RAM. …
- Swap your HDD for an SSD. …
- Reduce Visual Effects.
When should I reset my Mac?
Resetting your MacBook Pro to the way it was when you got it from the factory isn’t difficult, but it isn’t quick, either. You could do it if you’ve been consistently having serious problems with the MacBook Pro. However, the only time you should definitely do it is when you’re about to sell or give away the machine.
What will resetting PRAM do?
Once your hear the startup chime a second time, the PRAM has been reset and you can release the keys. Note that if you choose to zap your PRAM, you may need to set your display, time zone, startup volume, and other affected settings using System Preferences.
How do I wipe my Mac and reinstall?
Restart your Mac. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down, press and hold the power button until “Loading startup options” appears, select Options, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions. In the Recovery app window, select Reinstall for your macOS release, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.
How do I factory reset my MacBook Big Sur?
How to factory reset MacBook and Mac desktops
- Make a fresh backup of your Mac.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click System Preferences in the menu bar > Erase All Contents and Settings.
- Follow the prompts to fully erase your Mac.
- Like iOS, the new erase process in macOS Monterey handles everything to fully wipe your Mac.
How do I reset my Mac desktop to factory settings?
To reset your Mac, first restart your computer. Then press and hold Command + R until you see the Apple logo. Next, go to Disk Utility > View > View all devices, and choose the top drive. Next, click Erase, fill out the required details, and hit Erase again.